Wednesday 21 April 2010

old McDonald

Walking up to the lido today and bumped into Jim McDonald on the way in. I haven't seen Jim for ages - as he's usually behind the wheel of a black cab. He's been going in all winter and thought I'd gone soft, until I told him what I was swimming these days. Spurred on, Jim decided to go for 12 lengths. I got in before him and had done 4 by the time he got in. I'd done 18 when I paused mid-length and asked him if he was getting out - as I wanted more of a chat. He said, "Oh, I'm feeling fine, I'm gonna do another ten." I thought, "What the hell, that'll make around 28 lengths for me."

That is, until he stopped me at the end of my 24; he'd managed another 4, and said he could only manage 2 more. So I ended up doing 26. And on exiting I know why he wanted to stop, as he didn't stop shivering for the next 45 minutes as we chatted over coffee about the sad shower that are our political representatives.

2.38km at 12 degrees. Feels so much warmer than 8!

No comments:

Post a Comment