Wednesday 3 November 2010

fainting all around

The water temp is taking its toll on the swimmers. Four people have now fainted in the last few weeks after getting out of the water. Personally, it reminds me to keep a good check on my body and get out before I get hypothermic. On a more general note, it strikes me that an increase in fainters might put the access to the pool at risk and that perhaps the lifeguards should extend what they're doing at the moment and check people who have done more than a few lengths to check they are OK.

And it's not as though it's novices. Three of the four fainters have been experienced members - who imho should know better.

Anyways...met Carl today (working at home because of the tube strike) and did a leisurely km and had a good long chat afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. I can't say I don't log on to see how far you've swam and infact I've upped my distance this week as the water has got warmer, did eighteen this morning.
    It looks like they might switch the sauna off in the belife that it encourages people to swim further than they should, this would be a real pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've spoken to Brian about this. He's aware that different people have different tolerances and I've been stressing this to people in the sauna - letting them know some of the signs of impending hypothermia. To remove the sauna would diminish my lengths, but having done a km without the sauna the other day, I don't think it would affect me too much...as you say, I'd just swim a bit less.

    ReplyDelete