Saturday 18 September 2010

enjoying the mid Sept sunshine

It's been sunny around my birthday for what feels like over a decade now. Lovely time to be swimming as the water is not warm and not yet cold either. It was 14 degrees C today and for the first time I felt slightly 'fresh' when still in the water and talking. Kate got in and did 8 lengths and two of those were non-stop crawl. As this is her first time swimming crawl for such a distance, I'm very proud and look forward to her joining me on epic river and sea swims!

I did a 20 lengths on Thursday day and bumped into Alex (I'd seen him sprint by in his orange hat), who was mulling over whether he should do the 104 lengths challenge in Tooting Lido (6 miles)and Sue who was 'only' doing 12 lengths. And had a day on dry land on Friday.

5 comments:

  1. I've sent in an entry form for the 104 length challenge but I don't know if I'll complete it, we'll see how the weather holds this week.
    Did a 54 length stint on Saturday with a hot chocolate break while still in the water after the first 36, I was exhausted and getting quite cold by the time I finished, in the water for just under 1hour 25minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 54 is huge. Maybe swimming slightly slower would help with the exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday is coming up this week and I too have noticed that we regularly have great weather at this time of year - first time I swam around Burgh Island it was a blistering hot late September Sunday about 3 or 4 years ago...am hoping to do the same again this Sunday so fingers crossed! My birthday is on the 23rd which this year is a full moon so also intending to do a moonlit dip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did it as a relay in the end with Margy and Jim Boucher. I did 50 lengths, Margy 24 and Jim 30. We were the first relay team to finish in 2.53:25. I did my 50 in 1.16. The winning solo swimmer was about 2.45, in fact he did his first 50 about 2 minutes quicker than me. All good fun, best of luck with your triathalon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex congratulations - good to win! We came 10th overall in the relay tri, will have to wait for the results to see how we placed in our age group.

    ReplyDelete