Tuesday 25 May 2010

going with the flow

Another lovely morning at the lido. Had a chat with Elizabeth (author of the wonderful Unusual Love Affair in London) who unfortunately can't swim due to an ear infection. I also saw Alex speeding up and down in his orange hat. I got in with the idea of swimming for half an hour. I swam slowly focusing on my stroke and did a couple of lengths of 5/4/5 stroke breathing. A mile took me 34 minutes. Which is about 4 slower than usual. The only mild irritation was a triathlete who got in close to me, but didn't seem to be able to swim in a straight line - "sort your sighting out fella, or you'll swim further than you need to!"

Log - 1.65km at 17 degrees.

2 comments:

  1. Earlier in the year we were having a discussion about why in such a large pool people seem to to collide or have near misses so often. I follow the seams in the liner, so it's not too difficult to keep straight. I've noticed that a slower swimmer is often drawn to the wake of someone faster or perhaps they sub-conciously follow them? I've quite often turned at the end of a length to find the person I passed swimming directly toward me. There are of course those that just can't keep a line - I know a few regular candidates but I'll not mention their names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex - I too use the cross lines to keep straight. I'm also not a user of spectacles, so this may also explain why some users veer.

    ReplyDelete