Friday 2 July 2010

A couple of lovely swims

Riding into the car park near Newnham swimming club at Grantchester, I parked behind a grey haired man snoozing in his car. Only to find, as I was changing out of my riding gear, that it was Bryn; who I was there to meet with Sarah for a swim. Both of them are in a relay across the Channel on Monday, so are taking it easy for a few days.

Newnham Swimming Club is one of the few naturist places in a city and its a little disconcerting at first to see a range of shapes and sizes diving and jumping into the river in birthday suits. But it is not compulsory. We swam downstream towards Dead Man's Corner and then back for some jumps and dives off the bank.

I then dashed through commuter traffic along the A14 to meet Tom and others for a two mile swim aling the River Nene near Wadenhoe. For most of the two miles you're tickled by weeds just underneath you, but because the water is clear you see fish, glimpses of sandy bottoms and weird suspended structures of weeds, lilies and rushes. Very bucolic and very relaxing.

The journey back into London was not so relaxed, as the Blackwall Tunnel is closed, I had to take a long diversion and in my tired state had a small accident braking too hard in Surrey Quays. Thankfully I am a relatively sensible biker and had protective kit on - so a slightly sore wrist, a sheared off foot rest and a crash mushroom that did its job, but now needs replacing.

About 4.5km.

3 comments:

  1. Careful on that bike! Hope you're healing well and the bike damage isn't too bad. The swims sound great, I should really try and get out of the Lido a bit more often. The Lido had new side bars installed this morning to once more play havoc with my tumble turns. Off to Turkey on my Swimtrek on Monday and I'm very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It made me think. An easy trip is up to Cambridge, as Grantchester Meadows are a short walk from the station. Hope you enjoy Turkey, as I've had my eye on it and would love a report when you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Alex and in addition I would say that you might get lucky not to get bad wounds, thats not often happen on bike crashes

    Crash Mushroom

    ReplyDelete