Monday 29 March 2010

outdoor swimming season starts!

The news that Tooting Bec Lido was up to 9 degrees filled me with delight. At this temperature I can easily do a kilometre. So on Friday I went over to the lido, got into the trunks, stepped into the water...and paused. It was chilly. Not Baltic, but definitely shrinking temperature.

The first length was a challenge. The shock of the cold (having not been outside in just skin since late November) made it a little difficult to breathe, so had to do every two strokes. While at the same time trying to calm down and ease into the breathing. I did the second length a bit more gracefully and sped up a bit to generate some heat. By length three I was calmer, breathing normally and the shock had passed. I ended up doing ten lengths and feeling I could have done more.

On the Saturday, I met the other Carl, who has hardly swum since he crossed the Channel last year. He wasn't up for more than a width really, but persuaded him to do four lengths. And we got photographed by Elizabeth Wurth for her blog - An unusual love affair in London.

Sunday saw a mammoth lie in by Kate and I with cups of tea and the Observer.

And this morning 18 lengths (just over a mile) in Tooting Bec Lido, followed by a long, lovely sauna. The outdoor season has arrived. I'm off down to Calshot Beach for a swim on Good Friday.

Friday - 0.91km, Saturday - 0.37km, Monday - 1.65km - all at 9 degrees C.

No comments:

Post a Comment